The DJI Phantom 3 Standard is getting a bit old now. But I still love flying this drone in 2020. For me, the Phantom 3 Standard is a perfect addition to my DJI Mavic Mini because, for example, both drones can record videos in 2.7K.
Since I was never really satisfied with the range of the Phantom 3 Standard, I decided to make 2 modifications. I will install stronger antennas and modify the firmware of the Phantom 3 Standard with the MagicPower V5 tool to ensure better transmission of the video signal over long distances.
The MagicPower V5 software increases the signal strength of the remote control and can be downloaded here for free.
In this tutorial I will show you step by step how to successfully install the MagicPower Patch.
- DJI Phantom 3 Standard
- Windows PC
- MagicPower V5 Software – Free Download
Step 1 – Software Download
- The first thing you need is the MagicPower V5 software. You can download the software here for free.
- After the download, the folder must be unzipped and saved anywhere on the computer.
Step 2 – Wi-Fi Connection
- To transfer the patch of the MagicPower V5 software to the Phantom 3 Standard, you have to connect to the Wi-Fi network of the remote control.
First, disconnect your computer’s Wi-Fi connection from your home network.
- Now switch on the remote control of the Phantom 3 Standard and the drone itself.
- Now you can connect to the Phantom remote control under your Wi-Fi networks. The network name is PhantomXXXXXXX.
If you have not changed your Phantom’s Wi-Fi password, it will be 12341234 by default.
Step 3 – MagicPower Step 1
- In the menu on the left you keep the setting Patch with Magic Power.
(If you want to undo the patch later, you can select the Revert back to Stock option).
- If you want to get the maximum transmission power out of MagicPower, check I understand this and click Open.
- Now you can select the highest possible value of 27 dBm with Tx Power. You can leave all other settings as they are.
- To start the first step of the patch, click on Step 1.
Step 4 – Restart Phantom
- As soon as the first step of the patch has been carried out, you will be asked to restart your Phantom 3 Standard.
First switch off the phantom and then the remote control.
- Then you can turn on the remote control and then the Phantom again.
Step 5 – Reconnect Wi-Fi
- Since the Wi-Fi connection was interrupted by switching off the remote control, you must reconnect your computer to the Wi-Fi network of the Phantom.
Step 6 – MagicPower Step 2
- Once your computer is connected to the Phantom, you can go through the second step of the patch. All you have to do is click on the Step 2 button.
- After applying the MagicPower Patch, you will be shown that you should restart your DJI Phantom 3 and the patch has already been successfully executed.